Ombudsman’s List of Readily Available Documents
The following types of documents are published by the Office of the Public Access Ombudsman, and are available on the Ombudsman’s website, free of charge, and without need of a formal PIA request:
- Notice Concerning Ombudsman Operations Due to COVID-19 Virus 04/08/20
- Interpretive regulations elaborating our office’s policies and procedures. 06/17/19
- Maryland Register Listing of Final Regulations. 06/17/19
Published Reports of the Office of the Public Access Ombudsman
- Final Report on the PIA, a report published jointly by the Ombudsman and the PIA Compliance Board. 12/27/19
- 2019 Report on the Public Information Act: Preliminary Findings and Recommendations . 11/6/19
- Agency Survey data from 2019 Research Report on the Public Information Act. Available from cloud drive and immediately available upon request.
- Report Concerning the Howard County Public school System’s handling of Requests Under the Public Information Act, (Dec. 30, 2016), issued pursuant to H.B. 1105.
Statistical Program Reports
- Report on Ombudsman Activities: Since Inception (03/31/20)
2020 Public Access Ombudsman 1st Quarter Report
- 2019 Public Access Ombudsman Annual Report (12/31/19)
- 2018 Public Access Ombudsman Annual Report. 12/31/18.
- 2017 Public Access Ombudsman Annual Report. 12/31/17.
- 2016 Public Access Ombudsman Annual Report. 12/31/16.
Published Comments of the Office of the Public Access Ombudsman
- Comments of the Ombudsman. An appendix to the PIA Compliance Board 5th Annual report published in September 2020.
- Comments of the Ombudsman. An appendix to the PIA Compliance Board 4th Annual Report published in September 2019.
- Comments of the Ombudsman. An appendix to the PIA Compliance Board 3rd Annual Report. 09/2018.
- Fee Estimates, Flat Fees and Waiver of Fees. Office of the Public Defender, Post Conviction Newsletter, Spring 2018.
- Advice for your MPIA Request from the Public Access Ombudsman, Office of the Public Defender, Post-Conviction Newsletter, Winter 2017.
- Comments of the Ombudsman to the Office of the Attorney General for their Report of the Office of the Attorney General on the Implementation of the Public Information Act. September 22, 2017.
- Comments of the Ombudsman. An appendix to the PIA Compliance Board 2nd Annual Report 09/19/2017.
- 7/30/20 – New Court Rules Govern Access to Judicial Records
- 7/9/20 – What Criminal Records Can I Get Under the PIA?
- 5/28/20 – Update on Agency Practices During the Pandemic.
- 4/06/20 – Importance of Accurate PIA Custodian Contact Information
- 3/23/20 – Ombudsman’s PIA Guidance During COVID-19 State of Emergency
- 2/14/20 – Ombudsman and members of the PIA Compliance Board unanimously support HB 502/SB590
- 1/7/20 – MSA – Records Management and the Public Information Act
- 8/14/2019 – Highlights From The PIA Compliance Board’s Opinions
- 8/01/2019 – Ombudsman and PIACB Seeking Comments on Research Project
- 7/12/19 – Where are My Records?
- 7/3/19 – Assessing Fees for PIA Requests.
- 6/18/19 – Public Access Ombudsman Adopts Regulations.
- 4/15/19 – Tips for Agency Transparency in the PIA Process.
- 3/29/19 – Proposed Regulations Noticed – Ombudsman Operations.
- 3/15/19 – Let the Sun Shine In: Maryland Public Access Ombudsman.
- 01/28/2019 – Proactive Disclosure Saves Time and Money, and It’s the Law
- 11/20/2018 – PIA Technology Solutions: Maryland Insurance Administration’s PIA Web-Portal.
- 11/01/2018 – 2018 Recommendations to the General Assembly.
- 09/26/2018 – PIA Technology Solutions: HCPSS – Transparency in Public Schools.
- 07/13/2018 – Privacy Beyond the Grave: Does the PIA Protect the Personnel Records of a Departed Employee?
- 06/18/2018 – Why Am I Being Charged? A Q&A Breakdown of Fees Agencies Charge for Maryland PIA Requests.
- 03/29/2018 – Innovative Approach to Case Management Aids Anne Arundel’s Compliance with the PIA.
- 09/26/2017 – Down the Rabbit Hole: What is a Maryland Public Information Act (PIA) Request?
- 09/11/2017 – What Makes a Successful PIA Mediation?
- Tips for Submitting and Responding to a PIA Request.
- Tips for Participating in a PIA Mediation.
- Ombudsman’s Basics
- Confidentiality of Ombudsman Mediations
PIA Training Materials
Utilized by the Office of the Public Access Ombudsman in Presentations During the past calendar year in 2018. The following documents are published by the Office of the Public Access Ombudsman, and are immediately available upon request.
- Town of Boonsboro, and surrounding Municipalities, 2/7/19
- Wicomico County State’s Attorney’s Office, 4/5/19
- Prince George’s County Law Office, 4/25/19
- Harford County State’s Attorney’s Office, 6/7/19
- Bowie State Police and town clerk, 6/11/19
- Jessup Correctional Institution, Veterans of JCI, 7/10/19
- American Association of Law Librarians, 2018 Annual Meeting, July 14-17, 2018
- Department of Health, October 9, 2018 (Boards), and November 30, 2018 (New Employees)
- City of Greenbelt, October 18, 2018
- Maryland Association of Counties, November 14, 2018
Record Management Documents
- Office of the Public Access Ombudsman Record Retention Schedule – immediately available upon request.
- Date: 01/23/2017
- Archives Location: 01/66/13/088/S00
- Schedule No: 2810
- MSA Citation: S1468-3980
- Certificates of Destruction. Prepared Pursuant to Record Retention Schedules
- Records Officer Designee pursuant to the Annotated Code of Maryland Article 10, section 610.
- 9/4/18 Letter – immediately available upon request.