News & Notes
PIA TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS: Maryland Insurance Administration – PIA Web-Portal 11/20/18
2018 Recommendations to the General Assembly. 11/1/18
PIA TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS: HCPSS – Transparency in Public Schools 09/26/18
Privacy Beyond the Grave: Does the PIA Protect the Personnel Records of a Departed Employee? 07/12/18
Why Am I Being Charged? A Q&A Breakdown of Fees Agencies Charge for Maryland PIA Requests 06/18/18
PIA in the News
- PIA Technology Solutions: Maryland Insurance Administration’s PIA Web-Portal The Ombudsman’s Office has heard from various Maryland agencies that are interested in implementing technology to better manage PIA requests. These agencies state that they are committed to transparency and to identifying potential systems that can improve their PIA response. The Ombudsman’s Office is in the process of interviewing agencies that have already implemented such ...
- 2018 Recommendations to the General Assembly Each fall, the PIA Compliance Board (PIACB) submits a report to the General Assembly that includes information about its activities and recommendations for improvements to the Public Information Act (‘PIA”). In 2018, the PIACB submitted its third Annual Report, and for the second consecutive year invited the Public Access Ombudsman to provide a report on ...
- On Keeping Journalists Safe, and Public Documents Public Ombudsman participates in MDDC Press Association Panel Discussion. Jonathan Make. 10/23/18
- Judge rules Virginia’s judiciary not subject to FOIA FOIA in the news. The Roanoke Times. 10/22/18
- PIA Technology Solutions: HCPSS – Transparency in Public Schools The Ombudsman’s Office has heard from various Maryland agencies that are interested in implementing technology for managing PIA requests. These agencies state that they are committed to transparency and to identifying potential systems that can improve their PIA response. The Ombudsman’s Office is in the process of interviewing agencies that have already implemented PIA management ...
- Hagerstown declines to release body-camera footage in bail bondsman incident Herald-Mail Media. 9/7/18
- Court orders Salisbury to release police lawsuit records Delmarvanow.com. 8/22/18
- Privacy Beyond the Grave: Does the PIA Protect the Personnel Records of a Departed Employee? The Maryland Public Information Act (“PIA”) protects the confidentiality of personnel records. Md. Code Ann., General Provisions Article (“GP”), § 4-311(a) (2014, 2017 supp.). A personnel record includes “an application, a performance rating, or scholastic achievement information.” GP § 4-311(a). It also includes “those documents that directly pertain to employment and an employee’s ability to ...
- Maryland tightens access to sealed indictments — after leak to gang members in Anne Arundel Captital Gazette. 06/22/18
- Why Am I Being Charged? A Q&A Breakdown of Fees Agencies Charge for Maryland PIA Requests Maryland Public Information Act (PIA) fees are governed by section 4-206 of the PIA. An agency is allowed to charge a reasonable fee for the search for and preparation of requested records.
Q. What is a reasonable fee?
A. A “reasonable fee” is not a specific amount. Fees can range from $20 to thousands of dollars. ...
- MD high court weighs if MPIA requires disclosure of supervisor’s notes The Daily Record. 5/7/18
- Body camera footage after Det. Suiter’s death show Baltimore residents living under police watch The Baltimore Sun. 4/30/18
- New Maryland #MeToo Bill Sets Up Public Shaming and Restrictions BlankRome. 4/26/18
- Maryland needs to stop forcing foster children to pay for their own care Baltimore Sun. 4/2/18
- Innovative Approach to Case Management Aids Anne Arundel’s Compliance with the PIA Innovative Approach to Case Management Aids Anne Arundel’s Compliance with the PIA
Anne Arundel County, Maryland provides individuals a user-friendly process for making requests for County records. As an illustration, about one year ago, the County implemented a “Case Management” type system that provides individuals access to an online request form to make requests for County ...
- Consultant hired to watch for police body-camera misconduct Baltimore Brew. 3/27/18
- Baltimore to spend $6.8 million more on police body cameras The Baltimore Sun. 3/27/18
- Brew’s request for De Sousa’s Internal Affairs files denied Baltimore Brew. 3/22/18
- The suspected Great Mills shooter, a teen, used a handgun. It’s tough for adults to buy one in Maryland. The Baltimore Sun. 3/20/18
- Former top Baltimore Police spokesman to return in new communications role The Baltimore sun. 3/8/18
- Baltimore not among Amazon HQ2 finalists; Montgomery County makes cut Baltimore Sun. 1/18/18
- Maryland’s incentives for Amazon HQ2 exceed $5 billion, Hogan says Baltimore Business Journal. 1/18/18
- Follow-up: Baltimore scrapyard settles enforcement action, agrees to curb polluted runoff Maryland Reporter.com. 12/22/17
- Pedestrian accidents pile up on state roads across Maryland Washington Post 12/22/17
- Subpoena: Annapolis police sought public housing names ‘indefinitely’ Capital Gazette, 12/20/17