Prepping for Winter Storms & Power Outages
by Kaymie Owen, CMP, Communications Manager
Winter storms can cause power outages and difficult travel conditions. Here are some tips to help you stay safe this winter.
Stay informed – follow the Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MDMEMA) for weather related updates. You can follow them on Twitter & Facebook @MDMEMA
Report power outages quickly:
- Baltimore Gas and Electric – 1-877-778-2222 or @MyBGE
- Delmarva Power – 1-800-898-8042 or online
- Choptank Electric Cooperative – 1.800.410.4790 or @choptankcoop
- Easton Utilities 410-822-6110 or @EastonUtilities (Facebook) or @EastonUtil (Twitter)
- First Energy or Allegheny Power – 1-888-544-4877
- Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco) – 1-877-737-2662 or online
- Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative, Inc. (SMECO) – 1-877-747-6326 or online
Keep an emergency supply kit ready – remember to prepare supplies for children, older parents with special needs and your pets.
- Fully charged cell phone
- Water – one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days for drinking and sanitation
- First aid kit
- Extra warm clothing & blankets
- Flashlights – not candles
- Fresh batteries
- Battery-operated radio
- Non-perishable foods (ex: dried meat, fruit or canned or packaged fruit and vegetables)
- Local maps
Run your generator safely – If you have a home generator, make sure your carbon monoxide alarms are working and that the generator is at least 20 feet away from your home. Never run a generator in your garage or basement.