Hurricane Prep tips from BGE
BGE is closely monitoring weather forecasts and is preparing to respond to any outages that may occur from Hurricane Florence, a storm moving through the mid-Atlantic region Thursday and Friday. The forecast calls for heavy rain, high winds and flash flooding. Downed trees and power lines are a top concern.
Here are some ways to prepare and items you need to have ready and working before a power outage: flashlights – not candles, fresh batteries, battery operated clock radio, corded telephone, fully charged cell phone, non-perishable foods, water and blankets. If you are using a generator, follow manufacturer instructions and be sure to locate generators in well-ventilated areas. Also, elderly, handicapped or dependent on electricity for medical equipment should always have alternate arrangements in place should they experience an extended power outage.
BGE is prepping all over the state are preparing to mobilize field and support personnel, including tree crews, to be ready to respond to any potential service interruptions that may be caused by the storm. Clearing fallen tree debris can be factors in restoration progress. Removing tree debris is a labor and time-intensive process which must be completed before crews can begin working on repairs and can extend the duration of certain outages. Below find how to contact your utility provider:
Customers can find information on preparing for storms and other emergency events at the storm center on BGE.com, as well as restoration progress and information via BGE’s social media sites Twitter and Facebook.
- Report power outages and down wires:
- Phone: 877.778.2222
- BGE App: Apple Store or GooglePlay
- Text: Text “OUT” to MYBGE (69243)
- Sign-up for proactive outage notifications. Text to MYBGE (69243) for outage information:
- Text ADD OUTAGE to sign up for outage notifications.
- Text OUT to report an outage.
- Text STAT to request an estimated time of restoration (ETR).
- Text HELP for a valid list of commands.
- Text STOP to unsubscribe from all SMA text messages from BGE.