Skip to Main Content

Public Meetings to Discuss ‘No Discharge Zone’ Application

Anne Arundel County Seeking Federal Approval for Designation

Photo of boats on river near AnnapolisThe public is invited to a series of information sessions about a proposed No Discharge Zone for Anne Arundel County. Maryland Department of Natural Resources staff and local partners will be on hand to explain the process for this designation.

A No Discharge Zone (NDZ) is an area in which both untreated and treated sewage discharges from vessels are prohibited. Discharge of untreated sewage from vessels is illegal anywhere within 3 miles of the United States coast. 

Within NDZ boundaries, vessel operators are required to retain their sewage for disposal onshore at a pumpout facility and must disable “treat and release” marine sanitation devices. 

Severn River Association, with the support of Anne Arundel County and the City of Annapolis, has prepared a draft NDZ application for the waters of Anne Arundel County. 

Interested members of the public are invited to any of three public information sessions to ask questions, provide comments, and learn more about the proposal.

Meetings will be held the following times and locations:

  • Aug. 14 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Annapolis Recreation Center, 273 Hilltop Lane, Annapolis;
  • Aug. 19 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Anne Arundel County Police Department, 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater;
  • Aug. 22 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Earleigh Heights Volunteer Fire Department, 161 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park

Public comments will be taken at these meetings and attached to the NDZ proposal. The Maryland Department of Natural Resources and the Maryland Department of the Environment will review the application this fall and consider applying to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for this additional level of protection for state waters.  

The draft NDZ application is available on the Severn River Association website and more information about the NDZ process is available at the  EPA website

Current information is also available at the Department of Natural Resources website.