Fort Frederick State Park Hosts Summer Discovery Weekend
Special Events Include Children’s Fishing, Geology Program and Night Hike
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources welcomes the public to enjoy Memorial Day weekend at Fort Frederick State Park May 26-28 during their Summer Discovery Weekend program. Activities will take place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. Saturday night will feature a unique nocturnal hike starting at 8 p.m.
Please ask for the day’s schedule when arriving at the park. Activities are located within the fort, at the nature center and along the trails. Food, gifts, and souvenir items will be available for sale at Captain Wort’s Sutler Shop.
Special events include:
- Discover the Art of Gunnery
- Discover the Art of the Soldier
- Discover the Fashions of the Enlightenment
- Discover the Refinement of a Gentleman
- Discover the Science of Medicine
- Discover the Way of a Soldier
- Discover the Wildlife of Fort Frederick
- Fishing 101: Children’s Fishing Program (Gear Provided)
- Night Hike for Nocturnal Animal Adaptations: Guided by ranger, (Easy-Moderate) 1/2 mile
- Plantation Trail Hike: Guided by staff, (Easy-Moderate) 1 mile
- Rocking Out: Geology Program
There is a service charge of $3 per car for residents and $5 for nonresidents. Disabled access is available; however, most of the activities are situated on grassy areas that may present difficulty. Parking is available throughout the park and visitors are reminded not to park on the grass. Please dress for the weather.
For more information about this event, please call the park at 301-842-2155.