Maryland Selects Migratory Game Bird Seasons
Public Input Submitted for Final Approval
After receiving and reviewing public input, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources has selected the 2017-2018 migratory game bird hunting seasons.
As the last step in the process, these recommendations are now pending final approval from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
“The department conducted an extensive public outreach effort, and consulted closely with members of the Wildlife Advisory Commission and Migratory Game Bird Advisory Committee,” Wildlife and Heritage Service Director Paul Peditto said. ”We are confident the selected migratory game bird seasons offer a management approach that balances the input of our citizens and the sustainability of this valuable resource.”
Highlights of the department’s recommendations include:
- Youth waterfowl hunting days Nov. 4, 2017, and Feb. 10, 2018;
- Regular duck hunting season segments from Oct. 14-21, Nov. 11-24 and Dec. 12 – Jan. 27, 2018, with a daily bag limit of six ducks, including two canvasbacks;
- The black duck daily bag has increased to two per day the season;
- Migratory Atlantic Population Canada goose hunting segments from Nov. 18-24 and from Dec. 15 – Feb. 3, 2018, with a daily bag limit of two geese;
- Mourning dove season segments from Sept. 1 – Oct. 14; Oct. 26 – Nov. 18; and Dec. 16 -Jan. 6, 2018.