Migratory Game Bird Seasons Submitted for Final Approval
After receiving and reviewing public input, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources has selected the 2016-2017 migratory game bird hunting seasons. As the last step in the process, these recommendations are now pending final approval from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
“The department conducted an extensive public outreach effort, and consulted closely with members of the Wildlife Advisory Commission and Migratory Game Bird Advisory Committee on these dates,” Wildlife and Heritage Service Director Paul Peditto said. “We are confident that the selected migratory game bird seasons offer a management approach that balances the input of our citizens and the sustainability of this valuable resource.”
Highlights of the department’s recommendations include:
- Youth waterfowl hunting days on Nov. 5, 2016 and Feb. 11, 2017;
- Regular duck hunting season segments from Oct. 15-22, Nov. 12-25 and Dec. 13-Jan. 28, with a daily bag limit of six, including two canvasbacks;
- Migratory Atlantic Population Canada goose hunting segments from Nov. 19-25 and Dec.16-Feb. 4, with a daily bag limit of two;
- The special season for sea ducks in the designated zone from Nov. 5-Jan.13; and
- Mourning dove season segments from Sept. 1-Oct. 8, Oct. 21-Nov. 19, and Dec.17-Jan. 7.
The complete list of recommended migratory game bird seasons can be found here and, once finalized, will appear in the 2016-2017 Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping and on the department’s hunting webpage.
All migratory game bird hunters, including landowners who are license-exempt, must purchase the Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp/HIP Permit, and the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp. For more information, including age exemptions, click here. To purchase the permits, please visit dnr.maryland.gov/service.