Sign up to subscribe
Maryland Sets Pre-Release Technical Assistance Session for Potential Charter School Grant Applicants
Informational Webinar Will Set Stage for Upcoming RFA
BALTIMORE – Organizations interested in the Maryland State Department of Education’s upcoming competition for Maryland Charter School Grant Awards can register for a Technical Assistance Webinar, set for 3 p.m. on Monday, May 21.
Maryland is providing grants of up to $900,000 over three years to eligible applicants interested in opening a new charter school in the State. Grants are available to prepare for operation of a charter school, replicate an existing successful charter school, or to expand an existing high-quality charter school. The grant funding stems from a five-year, $17.2 million federal grant received last year through the Expanding Opportunity through Quality Charter Schools Grants to State Entities Program.
Grants can be used for:
• Preparing teachers, school leaders, and specialized instructional support personnel, including through paying the costs associated with providing professional development, hiring and compensating personnel during the planning period.
• Acquiring supplies, training, equipment (including technology), and educational materials.
• Carrying out necessary repairs to ensure that a new school building complies with applicable statutes and regulations, and minor facilities repairs (excluding construction).
• Providing one-time, startup costs associated with providing transportation to students to and from the charter school.
• Carrying out community engagement activities which may include paying the cost of student and staff recruitment.
• Providing for other appropriate, non-sustained costs related to the opening and preparation to open, replicate or expand a charter school.
To be eligible, organizations developing a charter school must:
• Be approved by their local board of education, or
• Have submitted a complete application to the local board, or
• Be an existing charter school seeking expansion, or
• Be an existing charter school seeking to replicate, or
• Be a new charter school in the first two years of operation in need of additional start-up funds.
The exact size of the grant will vary according to the size and needs of the charter school, proposed timeline, and other factors.
The first grant competition will open in mid-2018.
Informational Webinar for Charter School Grant Competition
3 p.m., Monday, May 21, 2018
How to Join:
Meeting number (access code): 315 470 629
Meeting password: Charter2018
JOIN BY PHONE
1-855-797-9480 US Toll Free
+1-415-655-0045 US Toll
Toll-free dialing restrictions:
Can’t join the meeting? Contact support here: