Pesticide Reporting and Information Work Group Members Announced; First Meeting Scheduled for July 9
ANNAPOLIS, MD – The members of the Maryland Pesticide Reporting and Information Work Group, which was created during the 2013 legislative session and will be staffed by the Maryland Department of Agriculture (MDA), have been announced. The work group will hold its first meeting from 9 a.m. to noon on Tuesday, July 9, in the Environmental Matters Committee Room in the House Office Building in Annapolis.
The primary charge of the work group is to identify any data gaps in pesticide use and reporting that need to be filled and how best to fill them. The work group’s recommendations are due back to the General Assembly by summer of 2014.
Work group members were appointed by House Speaker Michael Busch and the Senate President Mike Miller. Membership also includes representatives from MDA, and the Maryland Departments of Health and Mental Hygiene, Natural Resources and Environment. MDA’s Director of Government Relations Joanna Kille and Pesticide Regulation Program Manager Dennis Howard will staff the committee.
Work group co-chairs are Delegate Stephen Lafferty and Senator Roger Manno.
Work group Members are:
• Joe Bartenfelder, owner, Bartenfelder Farms
• Ruth Berlin, Executive Director, Maryland Pesticide Network
• William W. Bowerman, Ph.D., Chair, Department of Environmental Science and Technology, University of Maryland, College Park
• Andy Fellows, Chesapeake Regional Director, Clean Water Action
• Sherm Garrison, Program Manager, Water and Habitat Quality, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
• Carol Holko, Assistant Secretary Plant Industries and Pest Management, Maryland Department of Agriculture
• J.B. Jennings, Maryland State Senate
• Frederick W. Kutz, Ph.D., Chair, Pesticide Advisory Committee, Maryland Department of Agriculture; and Senior Research Associate, Towson University
• Judy S. LaKind, Ph.D., President, LaKind Associates, LLC, Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Maryland School of Medicine; and Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
• Clifford Mitchell, M.D., Director, Environmental Health Bureau, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
• Jed Miller, M.D., Physician Program Staff, Science Services Administration, Maryland Department of the Environment
• Doug Myers, Senior Scientist, Chesapeake Bay Foundation
• Charles Otto, Maryland House of Delegates
• Ronald L. Ritter, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus PSLA, University of Maryland College Park
• Brian Schoonmaker, Vice President, Capitol Pest
• Julie Spagnoli, Senior Management Regulatory Consultant, Exponent, Inc.
• Andrea Kidd Taylor, Ph.D., Lecturer, Department of Health Policy and Management SCHP, Morgan State University
• Steve Weber, Owner, Weber’s Cider Mill Farm
# # #