To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.
- Governor Larry Hogan Attends Groundbreaking Ceremony for HELP Veterans Village at Perry Point VA Medical Center
- Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development Announces Fiscal Year 2018 Application Round for State Revitalization Programs
- Maryland Mortgage Program Announces Annual Award Winners
- Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development Partners With Montgomery County for New Homeownership Program
- Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development Announces Awards for Affordable Rental Housing
Follow us on TwitterMy Tweets
DHCD Staff Complete Hundreds of Volunteer Hours for Habitat for Humanity
In 2016, Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development staff responded to Governor Larry Hogan’s call to serve by volunteering with Habitat for Humanity of the Chesapeake. Some of the participants worked in Habitat ReStores that generate income from the sale of recycled building materials and furnishings to support Habitat’s affordable housing programs.
Others worked in teams to assist in builds in the Sandtown-Winchester neighborhood of west Baltimore and on McCabe Avenue, north of the Johns Hopkins Homewood campus. Staff framed walls and parged basements on 611 & 740 McCabe Ave., helped with finish trim work at 729 McCabe Ave., and continued the brick work at 1522 Presstman St. By the time the final build was completed in December, 36 staff had logged more than 200 volunteer hours.
By volunteering for Habitat organizations, DHCD employees help a grassroots housing developer while supporting the agency’s mission to provide affordable housing and build stronger communities. The department looks forward to continuing the partnership with Habitat for Humanity in 2017.