Sign up to subscribe
New MSDE-Baltimore City School System Collaboration to Set Course for Improvement
Priority School Leadership Team Retreat Set for Aug 2-4
BALTIMORE – The Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) and Baltimore City Public Schools will convene leadership teams from Baltimore City’s lowest performing schools next week to begin a yearlong partnership designed to jump-start academic improvement.
Over the course of three days, school leadership teams will complete a comprehensive needs assessment and develop intervention plans with evidence-based strategies intended to raise the quality of instruction and strengthen student academic achievement. The teams, consisting of a principal, assistant principal, and teacher leader from each school, will work with MSDE staff and other experts providing customized support.
WHO: Maryland State Department of Education
Baltimore City Public Schools
WHAT: A convening event kicking off a yearlong partnership between MSDE and Baltimore City Schools to improve school performance. For the 2017-2018 school year, 23 priority schools were identified. Priority schools are the lowest performing 5% of all Title I schools; and/or have graduation rates below 67%; or are schools that receive Title I school improvement funds under Section 1003g (SIG). Targeted and customized support will be provided to each low-performing school to effectively implement identified improvement strategies throughout the school year. MSDE is committed to collaborating with local school systems to provide customized support for school improvement.
WHERE: Mt. Washington Conference Center
Mt. Washington Room, 3rd Floor of McAuley Hall
5801 Smith Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21209
WHEN: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, August 3, 2017 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday, August 4, 2017 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
2017-2018 Baltimore City Priority Schools
School Grades Served
1. Academy for College and Career Exploration 6-12
2. Arundel Elementary/Middle PK-8
3. Augusta Fells Savage Institution of Visual Arts 9-12
4. Benjamin Franklin High School 9-12
5. Booker T. Washington Middle 6-8
6. Brehms Lane Public Charter PK – 5
7. Eutaw-Marshburn Elementary PK – 5
8. Frederick Douglass High School 9-12
9. Frederick Elementary PK – 5
10. Friendship Academy of Engineering and Technology 6-12
11. Furman Templeton Preparatory Academy PK – 5
12. Gilmor Elementary PK – 5
13. Harford Heights Elementary PK – 5
14. Harlem Park Elementary/Middle PK – 8
15. Hazelwood Elementary/Middle K-8
16. James McHenry Elementary/Middle PK – 8
17. Knowledge and Success Academy 6-12
18. Mary E. Rodman Elementary PK – 5
19. New Era Academy 6-12
20. The Historic Samuel Coleridge-Taylor Elementary PK – 5
The mission of MSDE is to provide leadership, support, and accountability for effective systems of public education and rehabilitation services.