Sign up to subscribe
Grants Available for Launching, Expanding Charter Schools in Maryland
Application Deadline is July 9
BALTIMORE – The Maryland State Department of Education is accepting applications for the new Charter School Program Grants.
Maryland is providing grants of up to $900,000 over three years to eligible applicants interested in opening a new charter school in the State. The deadline for applications is 5 p.m. on Monday, July 9.
“I believe that every child in Maryland deserves access to a world-class education regardless of what neighborhood they happen to grow up in,” said Governor Larry Hogan. “Organizations can use this critical grant funding to help open innovative schools throughout our State. Public charter schools offer educational choices for families and give additional opportunities for our students.”
Grants are available to prepare for operation of a charter school, replicate an existing successful charter school, or to expand an existing high-quality charter school. The grant funding stems from a five-year, $17.2 million federal grant that Maryland received last year through the Expanding Opportunity through Quality Charter Schools Grants to State Entities Program.
Grants can be used for:
• Preparing teachers, school leaders, and specialized instructional support personnel, including through paying the costs associated with providing professional development, hiring and compensating personnel during the planning period.
• Acquiring supplies, training, equipment (including technology), and educational materials.
• Carrying out necessary repairs to ensure that a new school building complies with applicable statutes and regulations, and minor facilities repairs (excluding construction).
• Providing one-time, startup costs associated with providing transportation to students to and from the charter school.
• Carrying out community engagement activities which may include paying the cost of student and staff recruitment.
• Providing for other appropriate, non-sustained costs related to the opening and preparation to open, replicate or expand a charter school.
To be eligible, organizations developing a charter school must:
• Be approved by their local board of education, or
• Have submitted a complete application to the local board, or
• Be an existing charter school seeking expansion, or
• Be an existing charter school seeking to replicate, or
• Be a new charter school in the first two years of operation in need of additional start-up funds.
The exact size of the grant will vary according to the size and needs of the charter school, proposed timeline, and other factors.
Further information and the application form can be found here: http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/programs/Pages/Charter-Schools/CSPGrant.aspx