Resources for Garrett County
South Rescue Squad, 200 Baltimore Street, Oakland, MD 21550
Friendsville Volunteer Fire Department, 122 Walnut St., Friendsville, MD 21531
Community Assistance Hotline
A “Community Assistance Line” has been set up by the Department of Human Resources to collect information from citizens in Garrett County who are seeking assistance. The line will facilitate the collection of information from citizens seeking assistance, and the connection of those needs for assistance with the Agencies and Departments working to meet those needs in Garrett County. Call toll free at 888-756-7836 (for emergencies please call 9-1-1).
Power Outage Safety Tips
If the power goes out, know what steps to take to be comfortable and safe.
- Use flashlights. Avoid using candles, they are fire hazards.
- Report your power outage to your utility company.
- Turn off major appliances. The water heater and heating system breakers need to be turned off to avoid overloading your circuits when the power is restored. Unplug any voltage-sensitive equipment.
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Food in a refrigerator will last 12 to 24 hours if the doors are kept closed. A full freezer can last 24 to 48 hours. Helpful Hint: You can drape a sleeping bag over your refrigerator or freezer for added insulating value in case of an extended power outage.
- Listen to radio reports. Keep either a battery operated or battery free (hand crank) radio on hand for emergencies. During an extended outage, please listen to the local radio stations for updates and information.
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, use generators, grills, and similar items outdoors only.