MEMA Encourages Safety and Awareness during Jewish High Holiday Celebrations
The Jewish high holidays are in full swing. During the holidays, it is important to take extra precautions with traditional cooking and candle rituals in the home. Here are some safety tips to keep you safe during the holidays.
In the Kitchen
- Do not leave cooking food unattended
- Avoid wearing loose fitting clothing that could be caught on pot handles or catch on fire
- Limit distractions while in the kitchen
- Keep children at least three feet away from stove
- Do not use water to smother a fire! Keep a pot lid and baking soda nearby to put out a pan fire
- If you do get burnt, treat immediately with running water and seek medical attention
When burning candles
- Use sturdy candle-holders, with flame-protective non-combustible (glass or metal) shades or globes.
- Place candles at least four feet away from flammable materials
- Place candles out of reach of small children and pets
- Extinguish candles when they burn within two inches of the holder
- If you must leave burning candles unattended, place them in the kitchen sink
- When handling candles make sure your sleeves and hair are secured
- Keep candles, matches and lighters, including lit memorial containers and Chanukah menorahs, out of reach of children
Do not forget to check your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors. Have a safe and happy holiday!