Firearm Deer Season to Open November 30
The two-week firearm deer season opens Saturday, November 30 and runs through December 14, 2013. Hunters who possess a valid hunting license or are exempt from the Maryland hunting license requirements may use firearms to hunt white-tailed and sika deer during this season.
The bag limits for the Firearm Deer Season are:
- One antlered white-tailed deer statewide; and
- In Region A, one antlerless deer on December 13 or December 14 on private land, or one antlerless on December 14 on public land.
- In Region B, 10 antlerless white-tailed deer
- One bonus antlered white-tailed deer may be taken per year in Region B during the weapon season of the hunter’s choice (archery, muzzleloader or firearm). A hunter must first take two antlerless white-tailed deer during any season in Region B and purchase a Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp before taking a second antlered deer.
- Two sika deer, no more than one antlered.
Complete bag limits, season dates, deer registration procedures and hunting regulations can be found on the DNR Website. The 2013-14 Maryland Guide to Hunting & Trapping also contains detailed information about all of Maryland’s hunting seasons.
Hunters should carefully inspect all treestands and always wear a full-body safety harness while climbing in or out and while in the stand. DNR strongly recommends using a sliding knot, commonly known as a prussic knot, attached to a line that is secured above the stand that allows the hunter to be safely tethered to the tree as soon as they leave the ground. Hunters are urged to take the treestand safety test and view the treestand tips and safety video.
Deer hunters are encouraged to donate any extra deer they may harvest to the Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry program. The deer are processed at participating butchers and processors free of charge and the venison is then given to local food banks.
Hunters with any questions may contact the Wildlife & Heritage Service at 410-260-8540.