Spring Turkey Hunts to Open Mid-April
Youth hunters will kick-off Maryland’s spring turkey season with Junior Turkey Hunts on April 13 on public or private land statewide, and April 14 on private land in Caroline, Dorchester, Charles, Calvert and St. Mary’s counties. Spring turkey season will run from April 18 through May 23 statewide.
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) encourages adults to take young hunters on a Junior Turkey Hunt. These events allow licensed youth ages 16 and under to hunt wild turkeys when accompanied by an unarmed adult, 21 and older, who holds a valid Maryland hunting license, or is exempt from the hunting license requirements. Adults may not possess a bow, crossbow or firearm while accompanying a youth hunter during the junior hunt.
The daily bag limit is one bearded turkey with a season bag limit of two bearded turkeys. Hunting hours are as listed:
- April 13 and 14 (Junior Turkey Hunt): Half-hour before sunrise through to sunset;
- April 18 – May 9: Half-hour before sunrise through to noon;
- May 10 – May 23: Half-hour before sunrise through to sunset.
Sunday turkey hunting opportunities are as follow:
- Hunters in Caroline, Dorchester, Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary’s counties may hunt on private land only on all Sundays of the season;
- Those in Garrett and Allegany counties may hunt on April 28 and May 5 on private and public lands.
Complete regulations, turkey check-in procedures, and information on public land hunting opportunities can be found at dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide or in the 2012-2013 Maryland Guide to Hunting & Trapping, issued with each hunting license. Hunters with questions may contact DNR Wildlife and Heritage Service at 410-260-8540.