State Preserves Historic Mt. Welcome in Baltimore County
Mt. Welcome, a National Register historic property in the community of Granite in Baltimore County, will be forever preserved through a conservation easement to be held by the Maryland Environmental Trust and Maryland Historical Trust.
Mt. Welcome features scenic rolling fields and woodlands, as well as a historic mid-18th century farmstead, manor, family cemetery and out-buildings. The conservation easement protects 71 acres, which includes 17 acres of agricultural land, 46 acres of woodlands and a portion of Granite Branch, a tributary to the Patapsco River. There are nearly 500 acres of protected lands within one mile of the property.
The family of the original owner, Hamilton Hall, donated the easement to carry out the wishes of Hall and his late wife, Jacqueline Blunt Hall. Jacqueline was a descendent of Samuel Walters, patriarch of the family that developed the Waltersville quarry and built the Mt. Welcome house in 1750.
Originally known as Waltersville, Granite was the center of this industry which, during its peak in the late 19th century, provided building materials for major projects throughout the eastern seaboard. The community is significant for its association with the granite quarrying industry in western Baltimore County in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The conservation easement will help permanently protect the rural community characteristics which have remained largely intact.