Firearm Deer Season Opens November 24
The two-week deer firearm season opens Saturday, November 24 and runs through December 8, 2012. Hunters who possess a valid hunting license or are exempt from the Maryland hunting license requirements may use firearms to hunt white-tailed and sika deer during this season.
The bag limits for the Firearm Deer Season are:
- One antlered white-tailed deer statewide; and
- In Region A, one antlerless deer on December 7 or December 8 on private land or one antlerless deer on December 8 on public land.
- In Region B, ten antlerless white-tailed deer.
- One bonus antlered white-tailed deer may be taken per year in Region B during the weapon season of the hunter’s choice (archery, muzzleloader, or firearm). A hunter must first take two antlerless white-tailed deer during any season in Region B and purchase a Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp before taking a second antlered deer.
- Two sika deer, no more than one antlered.
Complete bag limits, season dates, deer registration procedures and hunting regulations can be found on the DNR website, dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide. The 2012-2013 Maryland Guide to Hunting & Trapping also contains detailed information about all of Maryland’s hunting seasons.
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) urges hunters to carefully inspect all treestands before using them. Hunters should use a full-body safety harness while climbing into or out of a treestand and while in the stand. DNR strongly recommends using a sliding knot, commonly known as a prussic knot, attached to a line that is secured above the stand that allows the hunter to be safely tethered to the tree as soon as they leave the ground. Hunters are urged to take the tree stand safety test and view the tree stand tips and safety video on the DNR Website.
Hunters with any questions may contact the Wildlife and Heritage Service at 410-260-8540.