To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.
- Hogan Administration Announces Coordinated Effort to Bring 500,000 Meal Kits to Marylanders in Need
- Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development Releases Fiscal Year 2017 Annual Report
- Maryland Mortgage Program Announces New Loan and Down Payment Assistance Products
- Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development Announces Community Development Block Grant Awards as Part of Homelessness Initiative
- Governor Larry Hogan and First Lady Yumi Hogan Visit Helping Up Mission
Follow us on TwitterMy Tweets
Net-Zero: Suitland Home is 100 Years Old But State-of-the-Art When it Comes to Energy Efficiency
Suitland, MD – A renovated home in Suitland may be 100 years old but as the first Net-Zero home in Prince George’s County it represents the state-of-the-art in energy efficiency.
The house will be a stop on a tour hosted by the Greenbuild International Conference and Expo when the group meets in Washington, D.C. in November. Greenbuild is the world’s largest conference dedicated to architects, engineers, designers and contractors in the green building industry.
DHCD helped fund the project through its Neighborhood Stabilization Program, a federally funded initiative that helps state and local governments purchase, rehabilitate and redevelop foreclosed or abandoned homes to stabilize neighborhoods and stem the decline of house values of neighboring homes. View a video to learn more about Net-Zero homes.
“Our programs support projects that can enhance neighborhood sustainability and inspire Maryland families to put down roots in our traditional communities,” said Anne Stringer, DHCD’s assistant director of community programs.
Greenbuild’s tour will show how the triple goals of Net-Zero, Energy Star and LEED affected the entire process of renovating the house – from documentation and specification, to project team-building and in-field quality control and to community engagement and education.
“We are eager to be a part of Greenbuild’s tour this year,” said Patricia Omondi, senior construction adviser and special projects administrator of the Redevelopment Authority of Prince George’s County. “We faced some challenges, but we hope to educate attendees about products and strategies we used to build a sustainable and resilient home.”
First Net Zero Home in Prince George’s County
The Redevelopment Authority of Prince George’s County acquired the property with the goal of revitalizing it into a sustainable home that provides serious energy savings and water efficiency.
Renovations on the house lasted for nine months and it opened in June as the first Net-Zero Energy home in the county.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, a Net-Zero Energy building is a residential or commercial property that is “60 percent to 70 percent more energy efficient than a model home, and the remaining 30 percent to 40 percent of energy is created with renewables, such as solar, wind and geothermal, to bring the energy use to zero.”
Potential homebuyers can look forward to minimizing their utility bill to virtually zero dollars.
The net zero home is priced at $320,000 and includes three bedrooms and two bathrooms. Using a system of energy-efficient technology, the Suitland home generates as much energy as it consumes over the course of a year. The house features solar panels as a renewable energy source, an HVAC mini-split system, energy efficient windows and doors and a solar hot water heater.
“In addition to its efficiency, the house is located within walking distance to the Suitland Metro Station and the Suitland Federal Center,” said Howard Ways, executive director of the Redevelopment Authority of Prince George’s County in a press release.
RDA works to decrease the number of blighted residential structures within a half-mile radius of existing transit centers and improve the quality of life for residents.
First-time homebuyers or individuals who have not owned a home in the last three years are eligible to purchase and can contact Phoenix Real Estate Solutions for more information.
To learn more about DHCD’s community development programs, visit the Neighborhood Revitalization website.
By Samantha Lozano